Complaints and Appeals Procedure under the Customer Charter
If you are not satisfied with the service we provide or a decision we have made you should let us know and we will deal with the matter promptly, impartially and in confidence. The following sets out the Departments code of practice :
What issues are covered?
This procedure concerns complaints or appeals relating to delays, mistakes, instances where you did not receive the level of service you feel you are entitled to and decisions with which you are dissatisfied.
What issues are not covered?
This code does not apply to the following :
- Matters which are the subject of the Defence Forces Redress of Wrongs procedure;
- Matters which are the subject of litigation;
- Matters involving Freedom of Information (FOI) and Access to Information on the Environment (AIE) requests;
- Matters referred to the Ombudsman, the Pensions Ombudsman or the Information Commissioner;
- Certain matters relating to national security.
How to make a complaint or an appeal
- In the first instance, the matter should be brought to the attention of our staff in the Branch concerned either orally or in writing. The staff there will try to resolve the matter without delay.
- If the matter cannot be resolved by our staff or you are unhappy with the response to it, you can ask for the matter to be reconsidered by a higher level officer within that Branch.
- In the event that you are still unhappy with the response you may seek an independent review by contacting the Customer Service Officers at the address below :
Customer Service Officers
Planning and Organisation Branch
Phone: + 353 (45) 492114
Locall: 1890 251 890 Extension 2114
Fax: + 353 (45) 492430
Ombudsman - Complaints Service
If you feel you have been unfairly treated or are not satisfied with our decision on your complaints it is open to you to contact the Office of the Ombudsman. By law, the Ombudsman can investigate complaints about any of our administrative actions or procedures as well as delays or inaction in your dealings with us. The Ombudsman provides a free, impartial and independent dispute resolution service. You can visit the website of the Ombudsman at www.ombudsman.ie. Contact details for their office are :
Office of the Ombudsman
18 Lower Leeson Street
Phone: + 353 (1) 639 5600
Locall: 1890 22 30 30
Fax: + 353 (1) 639 5674